Monday, May 30, 2011

They will eat me!

I just wanted to quickly share a pretty funny encounter thatMichael and I had yesterday. After the KiBo graduation , Michael and I went with Agie to visit one of her friend's grandmother (confusing, I know) who lives in a village a little outside of town. She is having some heart problems, so Agie wanted to go check on her, and Michael and I tagged along to keep her company and see a different side of Kampala. After trying to follow some pretty confusing directions, and fifteen minutes of searching for the ever elusive "green gate" we found her house and Agie got to make sure everything was ok with her friend's grandmother. As we were leaving the house we ran into a couple of kids, probably 3 or 4 year-olds, and Michael and I walked up to greet them. As we approached the little girl backed away saying in Luganda, "They will eat me!" We wanted to assure her that there was nothing to be afraid of, so we knelt down and offered out our hands in peace. But, to our great amusement, instead of shaking our hands, she grabbed the little boy standing next to her and pushed him out in front of her as if to check to see if he would get eaten. Only once the little boy had survived his encounter with the "muzungu's" did the little girl approach to shake our hands. Maybe this was one of those things that you had to witness, but Michael and I got quite the kick out of it.

- Stokes

No comments:

Post a Comment