Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Murchison Falls

Will did such a terrific job of illustrating our weekend with his wonderful pictures that I do not have much to say. It was a great break from Kampala. After about 5 hours on the road, we arrived at Murchison Falls. We took a short hike up so that we could see the falls. it was magnificent. The sound of the strong water was extremely peaceful and reminded me that nature is wondrous. Will almost gave me a heart attack when he climbed to the top of post of a bridge that fell down. Luckily, he made it down.

That night, they had one of the forest guides come tell stories by the campfire at the place where we were staying. He was an older man named George. His ridiculous stories involved how he survived attacks from various animals. I am not sure how true any of them were; however, he scored on entertainment value. He survived a lion attack because "lions speak English." In addition, he did a rousing imitation of an Indian family facing an elephant.

On Saturday, we woke up early for a game drive. My favorite animals that we saw were the giraffes. I never realized how cool it is to watch them run. It looks like slow motion. One of the best parts about the game drive was that Will and I ended up climbing to the top of the van. It was amazing to drive through the park in the open air. After the game drive, we returned to the campsite for lunch and a break. During this time, I finished Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows! Now that I have finished the series, I feel more in touch with my generation. it was amazing. I can't wait for the final movie. In the afternoon, we took a boat ride to the falls. It was terrific to see elephants and hippos. The ride was extremely relaxing. That night, there was a thunder/lightning storm. While the animals were great, i think this may have been my favorite part of the day. It was incredible to see the storm in the open skies around the campsite. It was a natural light show.

On Sunday, we went to the Rhino sanctuary. Rhinos are fascinating animals. We were lucky (at least that is what the guide said) that the rhinos stood up for us at that time in the day. I had never seen cactus like the cactus in this park before. They were like tall cactus trees. I have some pictures that i will try to post. Seeing the rhino and the cactus made for an amazing end to a very fun weekend.

- Feldman

No comments:

Post a Comment